Thursday, February 9, 2012

Casting Off

I decided to take Wednesday off this week, and late that night, regretted it.  I have a very full day today, and was already starting to stress about how to fit it all in -- walk, blog, early morning meeting, noon meeting, 3:00 meeting, and knitting class (more about that).  I figured I'd better get the walk out of the way first thing, so Banks and I drove to the trail at 5:00, found parking and got on the actual trail at about 5:15, and it was waaaay different than the last time we did it on a weekday.  Hardly anyone was out in the first half hour or so -- we'd go 10 minutes, easily, without running into anyone else -- but it was nice to have the wide trail to ourselves, and as always, I felt very safe with Banks at my side.  The picture below is at the beginning of the walk -- I didn't realize how foggy, or hazy, it was that early until I saw the picture. 

So, that's done, the meetings will be fine -- but this knitting class.  What was I thinking?  It was Marcy's idea -- she's already an accomplished knitter, and she's going to knit circles around everyone in our 101 class, but me?  I have never been a quick study at anything, so I asked her to give me a tutorial before class, just so I wouldn't go in completely cold.  OMG.  Have you ever tried "casting on?"  She kept assuring me that I'd get the hang of it, and that once I did, the knitting would be the easy part.  You would have thought I had cerebral palsey, or at least arthritis, to see my trying to get my fingers around those needles and that yarn.  I ALMOST got the hang of casting on, at which point Marcy informed me that there were many ways to do it, and our teacher might very well want us to do it another way. Whaaa?

Then we proceeded to the knitting part.  Not only could my fingers not seem to cooperate, my brain wasn't fully engaged either -- I would look blankly at a row of loops, and not be able to tell which one I was supposed to stick my needle into.  It took me back to first or second grade, when I would lie awake at night, convinced I was the only person in my class who would reach adulthood without learning to 1) tell time and 2) write in cursive. 

Well, it's all about taking chances, right, and there is the slimmest of possibilities that I might love this, actually get good at it, and be able to knit some amazing creations.  One can always hope.




1 comment:

  1. I have one word for you regarding the knitting, chrochet! One hook, not two needles. Okay, more than one word. Sounds like fun and everyone at work may get fuzzy caps for Christmas 2012? Up at 5 AND walking, impressive...... enjoy your classes. I think you are going to like them. After all, you did eventually learn how to tell time and write in cursive, right?

    ReplyDelete