Sunday, July 1, 2012

Halfway There

And I couldn't have picked a better day for my six-month anniversary.  I didn't pay much attention to the temperature, but I think it was under 100.  I rained a little last night, and tonight, when Banks and I took our walk, there was a major, semi-cool wind blowing.  In honor of this milestone, I wanted to push Banks a little, and he came through.  He lasted 50 minutes before I dropped him off and did the rest myself.

Halfway through, can you believe it?  I have never in my life lasted six months at anything -- gym, running, Jazzercise, anything.  I think back to the early days of the project.  I remember lying awake at night, trying to tamp down the panic I felt whenever I considered the possibility that I MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO DO THIS; that, after alerting everyone I knew, I might implode in a big way, or even worse, just sort of peter out and hope everyone would forget I ever started the thing.  I never, ever worry about that anymore.  Five miles a day is built into me.  It feels almost more of a compulsion than a discipline.

Probably the smartest choice I made was to take off one day a week.  I definitely would have burned out without it, and two days off would have given me too much leeway.  I know myself.

My only (minor) disappointment is that I've lost 18 pounds, instead of the 20 I'd been hoping for.  On the other hand, let's review my posts from the last week.  Dinner last night was Amy's Ice Cream.  Two nights before that, it was Fogo de Chao. There is room for improvement in my diet.

I'm starting to get excited about my gym membership.  I noticed that on the treadmill, I definitely walk faster, and I twist from side to side.  That might jumpstart the changes I want to make in my upper body.  I plan to incorporate weights (machines, mostly) in the three times a week I visit the gym.

Can you hang with me for another six months? 



1 comment:

  1. I can hang with you another six months, for sure! I am so proud of you and you do look GREAT!! I know your heart is grateful as well. Wouldn't it have been cool to get a complete physical the day before you began this adventure, weight, measurement, blood work, etc, then get the same post! I am sure there are achievements you can't see but the body benefits. Long life to you and you are not "HALF WAY" through, you have only just begun....right?

    ReplyDelete