Friday, July 27, 2012

A Slippery Slope


I didn’t blog about last night’s walk for two reasons:  1) it was the most boring walk I’ve ever taken, and 2) I knew I’d be walking early this morning, so I thought I’d combine them.
But there was one interesting thing about last night, which actually made me a little nervous.  For the first time in these almost seven months, I sat down during the walk. I was fussing with my iphone, trying to find a good podcast for the second half of the walk, and sat down on someone’s stone wall while I did it.  It was probably no more than 60 seconds. That may not sound like a big deal, and it probably isn’t, but it made me realize that it indicates a slipping of sorts, a casual attitude that I’m recognizing as new. Maybe it’s familiarity, and maybe (probably) it’s this insane heat.   In any event, I’m glad it happened.  I’m going to pay more attention.  Let one thing slip just a little, and before you know it, you’re cutting corners somewhere else. 
This morning I met Brian at Mi Madres (the BEST breakfast tacos in Austin, I think), a 4.6 mile walk.  Oh, it feels so good to do it early in the morning, and reward yourself with a good breakfast and a ton of coffee.  Since I had almost a half mile to make up, though, I had Brian drop me off a half mile from my house, and that last half mile was quite an adventure.  As I said, I had probably 6-7 cups of coffee, as well as a big glass of water upon arriving there, and as I saw her car recede into the distance, it hit me almost immediately.  Yikes.  There were times when I was walking like those little kids you see who really have to go to the bathroom, though I like to think I did it discreetly, between parked cars and alongside tall bushes.  I made it home safely…..but barely.

No comments:

Post a Comment