Sunday, October 14, 2012

Tennis Ball Therapy

Last night I was so tired I didn’t have the energy to post anything.  It’s been a stressful week at work – Wednesday night, in anticipation of a horrifyingly contentious meeting on Thursday morning, I slept a grand total of one hour.  ONE HOUR.  And I suppose Saturday was really my first chance to catch up.  So yesterday, after doing the grocery shopping and various chores, I had an incredible three-hour nap, from noon to 3:00.  Then Lynn and I met at the Regal Westgate for a movie – Argo, by Ben Affleck. Highly recommend it.  One of the reviews I read advised that, if you don’t remember this story – about six stragglers who escaped from the U.S. embassy during the hostage crisis and found shelter with the Canadian ambassador and his wife – don’t Google or Wikepedia it, and just let yourself get caught up in the tension. It was good advice, but I’ve been doing research on it ever since, and it’s a fascinating story.

Banks and I did our five at about 7:30.  It was still hot and muggy, and he wasn’t too cooperative, but he hung with me.  The real issue was my back.  I did something really stupid the other day – I took some light weights from my office to my car, and trying to save myself a trip, I picked up all four of them and held them at an awkward angle while making my way to the car.  Of course I pulled something in my lower back, and deep in my right hip is some kind of pinched nerve.  So when Banks and I started out, I was walking gingerly, but as always, once I found my stride and kept it steady, the pain worked itself out. 

It’s when you’re NOT moving that the pain comes back.  Not horrible, debilitating pain, but a dull and nagging one.  At times like that, you’d give anything for a deep-tissue massage, but since that’s not always readily available, I have found an excellent substitute.  Forgive me if I’ve already shared this with you, but it’s worth repeating.  Get a tennis ball, and lie on it.  If it’s a pinched nerve, it hurts like hell when you start, but steel yourself to just let your body sink into/onto the ball while it’s squarely on the nerve.  Or if it’s a tight section of your back and shoulders, roll around on it a little bit. 

If you’re lucky, you’ve got a dog like Banks who loves to chew on tennis balls, and with a hole in the ball, it remains firm while still having a little give in it.  If you’ve got a fully inflated ball, you might want to wrap it in a thick athletic sock to take a bit of the edge off.

In any event, it WORKS.  I can’t remember where I learned this from, but I’ve done it for years.  You will get up off the ground in better shape than when you laid down, I promise.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea on the tennis ball. I had a PT tell me to use one but it hurt too much. Your modifications make sound advice. As for your walking it out, don't know if you watched "Finding Nemo" but Dora's motto was when you are down, "just keep swimming". Pretty much fits. Good job, both you and Banks.

    ReplyDelete